Food Combining Principles

Proper food combining is the concept of combining types of food for optimal digestion. We use different digestive enzymes to break down protein, carbohydrates and starches. A well ordered meal permits a smoother handling of your stomach’s digestive chores, with faster digestive times, and better assimilation of nutrients. This means less gas, bloating, heartburn and similar symptoms, and a happier, more energetic feeling after the meal is over. 

When you eat foods that don’t combine correctly, the digestive system gets mixed signals about which digestive juices and enzymes to release. Food remains in the digestive tract longer than it should and it starts fermenting. This produces sugars that feed yeast and parasites and further weakens the digestive tract and immune system. 

There are three basic food combining rules:

  1. Always eat protein with non-starchy and/or ocean vegetables.
  2. Do not combine grains and starchy vegetables with protein – always eat grains and starchy vegetables with non-starchy and/or ocean vegetables.
  3. Eat fruits alone, on an empty stomach and wait 30 minutes before eating anything else.

The 80/20 Rule

Rule 1
Stop eating when you are 80% full – leave 20% for digestion

Rule 2
80% of the food on your plate should be land and/or ocean vegetables. The remaining 20% can be an animal protein OR grains OR starchy vegetables.

Raw or cooked non-starchy vegetables (80% of plate)
     
Argula
Asparagus
Bamboo shoots
Beet Greens
Bok Choy
Broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Burdock root
Cabbage
Carrots
Cauliflower
Celeriac
Celery
Celery root
Chives
Collard Green
Cucumbers
Dandelion greens
Endive
Escarole
Fennel
Garlic
Green beans
Jicama
Kale
Kohlrabi
Leeks
Mustard greens
Okra
Onions
Parsley
Radishes – daikon & red
Red bell peppers
Scallions
Shallots
Spinach
Sprouts
(except mung beans)
Swiss chard
Turnips
Watercress
Yellow squash
Zucchini
 
Ocean Vegetables:
Agar, arame, dulse, hijiki, kelp, kombu, nori, sea palm, wakame
 

For remaining 20% of plate, choose between:

  • Animal Protein (free from antibiotics and hormones)
    Lean chicken, lean beef, eggs, fish
  • Starchy Vegetables
    Artichokes, acorn squash, red skin potatoes, corn on the cob, sweet corn, water chestnuts, winter squash, lima beans and English peas, squash, eggplant
  • Grains
    Amaranth, quinoa, millet, buckwheat
  • Protein Fats:
    Kefir, nuts, seeds, avacados, dairy

Other suggested foods

  • Fats
    Coconut oil, raw butter, ghee, Body Ecology mayonnaise, organic and unrefined oils: flax, pumpkin, sunflower, safflower, evening primrose, olive, black seed, borage.  Use a variety of oils – each has a special gift to give the body.
  • Acid Fruits
    May be eaten with protein fats – lemons, limes, cranberries and later grapefruits.  Lemons and limes aid in digestion of fats, proteins and protein fat, but do not combine well with starches.

There are no comments yet. Be the first and leave a response!

Leave a Reply

Wanting to leave an <em>phasis on your comment?

Trackback URL http://blog.cleansingwaters.net/2011/05/food-combining-principles/trackback/